Saturday, December 1, 2012

Linus Roache's six best books

The British actor Linus Roache played young Bruce Wayne's father in Batman Begins and Michael Cutter in Law & Order and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

One of his six best books, as told to the Daily Express:
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

This was my ultimate reading experience as a teenager. I read it painstakingly slowly. I was so immersed in the world Tolkien created that by the end I was in utter despair that it was no longer there for me.

I cried. I was bereft. Such an extraordinary journey.
Read about the other books on the list.

The Lord of the Rings also made Derek Landy's top ten list of villains in children's books, Charlie Jane Anders and Michael Ann Dobbs' list of ten classic SF books that were originally considered failures, Lev Grossman's list of the six greatest fantasy books of all time, and appears on John Mullan's lists of ten of the best women dressed as men, ten of the best bows and arrows in literature, ten of the best beards in literature, ten of the best towers in literature, ten of the best volcanoes in literature, ten of the best chases in literature, and ten of the best monsters in literature. It is one of Salman Rushdie's five best fantasy novels for all ages. It is a book that made a difference to Pat Conroy.

--Marshal Zeringue